Anthony (Nino) Amato for 9th District Alder
Nino Amato has a distinguished and respected record of community engagement and collaborative problem solving. Not only does Nino have a proven record of successfully dealing with complex city, state, and federal issues – he has been recognized for bringing public leaders and elected officials together on challenging issues, where others have failed.
University Educational Degrees
University of Wisconsin-Madison: Bachelor of Science Degree & Wisconsin Teachers Certification, School of Education
University of Wisconsin-Madison: Master of Arts Degree from the Robert M. LaFollette School of Public Policy (Public Policy & Administration)
Current Professional Leadership Activities
- UW-Platteville, College of Engineering, Adjunct Professor: “Energy, Environment & Society” & “Sustainability Policies & Practices”
- Business Advisory Board Chair – College of Engineering UW-Platteville: Sustainability & Renewable Energy Systems, UW-Platteville, College of Engineering
- Honorary Board Chair, Coalition of Wisconsin Aging & Health Groups: Former President & CEO 2010 to 2021 – Statewide Nonprofit Legislative & Legal Advocacy on behalf of Wisconsin’s 1.4 million elderly and people with disabilities.
- Wisconsin Election Commission – Voter Accessibility Advisory Committee: Voter Access for Wisconsin’s 1.4 million elderly & people with disabilities, polling place access and absentee voting options.
- Strengthening Neighborhood Ties, Co-Chair: Non-partisan, Neighborhoods Civic Engagement on Public Safety, Environmental & Sustainability, Crime Prevention, Government Transparency, Traffic Safety.
- Public Policy Co-Committee Chair, “We Are Many United Against Hate:” Non-Profit, Non-Partisan 501c3 Educational Advocacy Against Hate
Local & State Government Leadership
- Former President – Wisconsin Technical College System Board
- Former Member – University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents
- Former Member– University of WI. Hospital & Clinic Authority Board
- Former President/CEO – Forward Wisconsin Inc., Wisconsin Public-Private Economic Development Partnership & Marketing Organization
- Former Chair – Madison Mayoral Task Force on Racial Profiling & Race Relations – Building Trust Between Communities of Color & Madison’s Police
- Former President & VP – Served two three-year terms to the Madison Equal Opportunities Commission, Adjudicating Discrimination Cases
- Former Committee Co-Chair – Gov. Jim Doyle’s (D) Task Force on Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy, Developing Renewable Energy Portfolio
- Former Co-Chair w/Mark Pocan, City-County Task Force on the Unification & Merger of Madison’s & Dane County’s Public Health Departments
- Former Co-Vice Chair – Gov. Tommy Thompson’s (R) Special Commission for Quality Workforce in Collaboration with Dept. of Public Instruction
- Former Advisory Board Chair. – UW Madison, School of Education Hope Lab College Homelessness and Tuition Affordability
- Former State Chair – WI. Dept. of Health Services, United for Mental Health Eliminating Mental Health Stigma & Advocating for Mental Health Parity
- Former Chair – Madison Economic Development Commission & Dane Co. Business Leadership Council – Health Care Career Ladders for CNA, Business Retention & Expansion, Small Business Advocacy & Entrepreneurship
Public and Private Sector Executive Leadership & Local, State and Federal Public Policy Development
- President/CEO Coalition of Wisconsin Aging & Health Groups: (CWAG), Wisconsin’s statewide non-profit legislative & legal advocacy for Wisconsin’s 1.4 million elderly and people with disabilities (2010 to 2021)
- Founder & Pres./CEO Nino Amato & Associates : Health Care Advocacy, Strategic Planning, Cultural Change Leadership, Environmental & Health Care Development & Sustainable Economic Development Consulting Firm (2002-2010)
- Vice President & Senior Executive Chief Marketing Officer, Meriter Health Services, Meriter Hospital & Retirement Center: Health Care Advocacy Clinical Business Development, Physician Relations, Governmental & Community Relations, Institute of Medicine Liaison-Healthcare Safety & Reducing Medical Errors, Clinical Marketing, UW Hospital Clinical Business Partnerships, State & Federal Regulatory Relations (1998-2002)
- Senior V.P. Wisconsin & Economic Development Director for Wisconsin Power & Light Company, WPL HOLDINGS: Strategic Planning, Economic & Community Development, Pricing & Regulatory Rate Design, Environmental Advocacy in Collaboration with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Water Utility Regulatory Oversight, President of WP&L Foundation Charities, & Local, State and Federal Public Affairs (1985-1998)
- President/CEO, Forward Wisconsin Inc. (WP&L Loan Executive): State of Wisconsin Public-Private Economic Development Marketing Corp., Business Retention & Expansion, Biotechnology and Forest Products Industry Development (1987-1988) & Member of Forward Wisconsin Board of Directors (1987-1992)
- Director Technology Transfer, UW-Whitewater College of Business & Economics: Director of Business Outreach, Small Business Development Center, UW Technology Transfer, Business Protype Development and Wisconsin Innovation Service Center (1982-85)
- Executive Vice President & Business Manager, First Reality Group, Inc: Residential & Commercial Development, Fire Prevention Policy Development, Home Energy Efficiency & Conservation, Community & Governmental Relations (1977-1982)